Retirement Age Calculator answers the question, “At what age can I retire?”. The calculator easily answers the question and creates a detailed schedule with projected date based investments and charts. A site’s users can select their own currency and date convention used in the investment schedule. This is ideal if your site attracts visitors from around the globe. Select from four predefined sizes or modify CSS file to customize size and change colors. Supports touch devices and a responsive designed website. This plugin is based on and uses the code from my Retirement Calculator.
Rebranding with your site’s brand name is supported and encouraged.
The plugin may be used (a) in a post or page’s content area via a shortcode; or (b) used in a widget area; or (c) called from any template file. See usage under installation for details.
Either (a) upload the fc-retirement-age-calculator folder with all its files to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder or (b) unzip the plugin’s zip file in the /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
Activate the plugin through the Plugins -> Installed Plugins menu in WordPress
If you translated the plugin from English to another language, please backup your work prior to upgrading the plugin.
There are 3 mutually exclusive ways you can deploy the calculator to an individual page (though you can use all three methods on different pages within a site):
- If your theme supports widgets, add the plugin to a widget area through the Appearance -> Widgets menu in WordPress. WordPress v5.8 introduced the block editor to the Admin’s widget management screen. To install this plugin as a widget in WordPress v5.8 or later, install first the widget shortcode and then copy this plugin’s shortcode into it.
- Add the following code <?php show_fcretireage_plugin(); ?> to your template where you want the calculator to appear. See below for options.
- Add the shortcode [fcretireageplugin] in the content area of your page or post and configure shortcode parameters.
* sc_size= tiny | small | medium | large
* sc_custom_style= No | Yes
* sc_add_link= No | Yes
* sc_hide_resize= No | Yes
Examples (1st includes all options):
[fcretireageplugin sc_size="medium" sc_custom_style="No" sc_add_link="No" sc_brand_name="" sc_hide_resize="No" sc_current_age="28" sc_current_savings="16000" sc_invest_amt="750.0" sc_rate="5.5" sc_goal_amt="1000000.0" sc_currency="83" sc_date_mask="2"]
[fcretireageplugin sc_size="small" sc_custom_style="Yes" sc_hide_resize="Yes" sc_currency="83" sc_date_mask="2"]
[fcretireageplugin sc_custom_style="No" sc_add_link="Yes" sc_brand_name="Friendly Financial Planners" sc_hide_resize="Yes" sc_current_age="28" sc_current_savings="16000" sc_invest_amt="750.0" sc_rate="5.5" sc_goal_amt="1000000.0"]
Optional array parameter passed to show_fcretireage_plugin()
Valid values for options are the same as the shortcode above.
<?php show_fcretireage_plugin(array('op_size' => "large",
'op_custom_style' => "No",
'op_add_link' => "No",
'op_brand_name' => "",
'op_hide_resize' => "No",
'op_current_age' => "28",
'op_current_savings' => "18000",
'op_invest_amt' => "750.0",
'op_rate' => "5.5",
'op_goal_amt' => "1000000.0",
'op_currency' => "999",
'op_date_mask' => "999"
- If you want to add your brand to the calculator, the *_add_link option must be set to “Yes” (i.e. create a subtle follow link to AccurateCalculators.com).
- When branding, the brand name will be added before “Retirement Calculator”.
- If _custom_style is set to “Yes”, the plugin will load fin-calc-widgets-custom.css located in the plugin’s CSS folder. If you set the option to “Yes” without making any changes, the calculator will change to a horrendous red which indicates the custom css is being used.
- The plugin is built and tested on HTML5/CSS3 pages.
- size (max-width): large: 440px, medium: 340px, small: 290px, tiny: 150px
- The modal dialog that allows users to select a default currency and date format is NOT compatible with some other dialogs. If you have a modeal on the webpage you want to install this calculator on, either your modal or the calculator’s modal may not work.
- Website developers can set a default currency sign and preferred date format by setting <op/sc>_currency and <op/sc>_date_mask respectively. Set one or both to an integer value. For the list of integers to support 90 plus currency symbols and 6 date format options, see the file currency_and_date_conventions.txt in the plugin’s root folder. (example: India, Indian Rupee: ₹1,23,45,678.99 = 83)
Support for over 90 currency signs (using appropriate nummber formatting conventions) and 6 date formats (mm/dd/yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy.mm.dd etc.). If neither the website developer or the user makes a selection, the calculator will read the browser’s default currency and date options and automatically use them. Without doing anything, a website visitor from Japan visiting a website hosted in France will initially see a floating yen sign. The website developer can easily override this default behavior by setting either shortcodes or function options. The user (if the website designer keeps the feature enabled) can override both and select a currency and date format.
To summarize, the plugin determines what currency symbol (and date format) to use by applying the following rules:
- If a website allows a user to select a symbol, and the user makes a selection, the plugin uses the visitor’s choice first.
- Otherwise, if a user has not made a selection, and the website owner has set a default currency (i.e., currency does not equal 999), the calculator uses the website’s selection.
- Otherwise, the calculator plugin will attempt to read the browser’s currency default and pick a currency symbol.
- Otherwise, the plugin defaults to using the ‘$’ symbol.
New in v1.5, support for 14 languages in addition to English. The plugin also includes a translation template file (.POT) in the “languages” folder. Using a POT/PO file editor, website owners can translate this plugin to any language supported by WordPress.
The supported languages are:
da : Danish : Dansk
nl : Dutch : Nederlandse
fi : Finnish : Suomalainen
fr : French : Français
de : German : Deutsch
hu : Hungarian : Magyar
it : Italian : Italiano
lt : Lithuanian : Lietuvių
pl : Polish : Polski
pt : Portuguese : Português
ro : Romanian : Românesc
ru : Russian : Русский
es : Spanish : Español
sv : Swedish : Svenska
Notes: (1) The plugin depends on the site’s “Site Language” setting to display to your visitors the correct language. The files in the language folder can be renamed if needed. For example, if you want the plug to display in Portuguese the .MO and .JSON files include assume your site’s language setting is Portuguese (Portugal) which is local pt_PT. But if your site is in Brazil, you’ll need to rename the plugin’s language files to use pt_BR. (2) At this time, these translations were computer generated. A fluent speaker can edit the included .PO file and regenerate the .MO file to update the tranlation. (3) If you are willing to allow me to include your edits with the plugin, I’ll regenerate the .MO, and if needed the .JSON files for you.
I am making the other calculators at my website available free-of-charge to bloggers who are abe to help with translation. See the website for details.
I’m happy to offer support for all my plugins. If you have a question or face an issue, please go to the plugin page linked in the description above and leave your question at the bottom of the page. I’m able to provide faster support at my site than I am on the WordPress.org website.
As of this writing, AccurateCalculators.com has seven plugins listed in the WordPress Plugin Directory with several more available on the website. All plugins have the same general feature set and are consistent in their styling and the way they work. This means you can install all these plugins and maintain a consistent look and feel for your website or blog. If you blog about money, you are encouraged to install all the plugins on your site. It’s simple. The more pages, the more opportunity.
We have two more retirement calculators to complement this plugin (all links take you to the indicated WordPress Plugin Directory page).
- Retirement Nest Egg Calculator – answers, what will be the value of my retirement fund when I retire?
- Retirement Savings Calculator – how much do I have to invest periodically to reach my retirement goal?
Plus there are these other plugins:
- Auto Loan Calculator – solves for several unknowns and creates a payment schedule.
- Loan Calculator – a general purpose loan calculator with amortization schedule and charts.
- Mortgage Calculator – optionally incorporates points and insurance and creates a payment schedule
- Savings Calculator – calculates the results of regular savings and investing